- Instructor: Bettina Haas
- Lectures: 8
- Students: 1939
- Duration: 10 weeks
Glycogen, a highly branched glucose polymer, is formed and broken down in most human tissues, but is most abundant in liver and muscle, where it serves as a major stored fuel. Glycogen metabolism has been studied in most detail in liver and skeletal muscle. Glycogen metabolism in other tissues has not been studied as extensively, and is thought to resemble the muscle process.Glycogen synthesis involves five reactions. The first two, conversion of glucose 6-phosphate to glucose 1-phosphate and synthesis of UDP-glucose from glucose 1-phosphate and UTP, are shared with several other pathways. The next three reactions, the auto-catalyzed synthesis of a glucose oligomer on glycogenin, the linear extension of the glucose oligomer catalyzed by glycogen synthase, and the formation of branches catalyzed by glycogen branching enzyme, are unique to glycogen synthesis. Repetition of the last two reactions generates large, extensively branched glycogen polymers. The catalysis of glycogenin glucosylation and oligoglucose chain extension by distinct isozymes in liver and nonhepatic tissues allows them to be regulated independently (Agius 2008; Bollen et al. 1998; Roach et al. 2012).Cytosolic glycogen breakdown occurs via the same chemical steps in all tissues but is separately regulated via tissue specific isozymes and signaling pathways that enable distinct physiological fates for glycogen in liver and other tissues.
Academy Europe presents high-quality formal diplomas, certificates and e-certificates which are formal proof and recognition of accredited online courses. It shows all student’s abilities to learn and achieve high results and is very useful to promote personal career including with CVs, job applications and self improvements.
Samples: Horizantal Diploma – Horizantal Certificate – Vertical E-Certificate
How can you get your certificate at Academy Europe?
- You must click “complete” link at the end of every lesson of your course after you finish them.
- When you finish all lessons of course, the “finish course” link is going to be active at the end of last lesson.
- When you click the “finish course” link, you will finish your course on Academy Europe officially. Then, “certificate” page of you completed course will be automatically active.
- You can see and download your certificate online after you click on your “certificate” link.
This course by Academy Europe aims at imparting quality education and training to students.
Academy Europe is dedicated to its students, their specific learning requirements, and their overall learning success.
This course is directed toward a student-centered, independent study, asynchronous learning approach.
After completing this course on Academy Europe, students will get self improvement and promotion in their careers.
This course is based on at least two learning skills which are provided to the users through audio & visuals, videos, verbal presentations and articles, all of which are asynchronized with distance education approach.
Before you start proceeding with this course on Academy Europe, we are assuming that you have a good aptitude and can think logically. You should want to try something different.
Ideal candidates for the course would typically possess:
– Discipline and attentiveness
– Ability to conduct research
– Ability to perform tasks with speed, efficiency, and accuracy
– Analytical judgment
– Patience to interpret technical/scientific data
– A willingness to learn, roll up your sleeves and work toward your dream!
– A computer, tablet or smartphone and an internet connection
– Basic computer skills
Overview of Glycogen Structure and Metabolism
Lysosomal Degradation of Glycogen
Regulation of Glycogen Degradation
Regulation of Glycogen Synthesis
Completion of Course